Last week was a awful. 
Early Tuesday, I kept waking up with chills, shivering and achiness. I took my temp when I got up in the morning, and it came back at 101. So, I sent a few emails calling in sick to work, and promptly went back to bed. When I woke up a few hours later, I ended up having to run to the bathroom to throw up. I thought that episode was a fluke. Maybe I just got too hungry, or my blood sugar got too low, and I just passed it off and headed down to get something to eat.

I spent the remainder of the day camped out on the sofa, trying to rest. I still had all of my symptoms: fever, aches and pains, chills, and to top it off, my heart was beating a mile a minute. To the point that I could feel it pounding in my chest while I was sitting on the sofa doing nothing. I called my midwife’s office to let them know about my symptoms, and to tell them I was concerned about my heart rate. When I heard back from them, they said that the fast heart rate could just be caused by the fever, and to rest. But, if it really started to bother me, to go to the hospital to get checked out.

I was sitting there trying to figure out if I should go to the hospital or not, when I threw up again. At that point my mom made the decision for me and told me that we’re going to the hospital. So, into the car we went.

We got to the hospital, and I was assessed.


Turns out I was pretty sick. And, that temp is while on Tylenol.

I was taken to one of their monitoring rooms, and hooked up to the monitors, and the monitors were showing that I was having contractions every 3-5 minutes. I had no idea. I thought the back pain I was having was just from being sick and pregnant…but nope, those were contractions. That’s about when I freaked out, became super emotional and was very close to tears. That’s also the point where I called J and told him to come to the hospital (He was in the middle of Beauty and the Beast musical rehearsal at his school).

I was given two IV bags of fluids, and some Zofran for the nausea. And, I really started to feel better. The contractions never stopped for the remainder of that night, but they got farther and farther apart. After those IV bags, I was sent home and told to rest. We got home around midnight, and I went straight to bed.

I took Wednesday off from work, just to rest and make sure that everything returned to normal. My fever was gone, but my stomach, specifically the top of it was really hurting me. I assumed it was just pregnancy indigestion. The day was pretty normal. I was tired….like really tired, but was doing ok. That is, until it was Henry’s bed time. I started to feel really nauseous while reading him a bedtime story, and it was all I could do to make it through bedtime routine, As soon as I closed the door to his room, I had to run to the bathroom to throw up.

Thursday morning, I threw up my tea. A few hours after that I threw up a piece of dry toast. I called my midwife and pretty much demanded an appointment to be seen, and was given a 2:00 appointment.  

My mom drove me to the midwife’s office, and the midwife saw me fairly straight away. When she walked into the exam room, she took one look at me and said “you’re going back to the hospital.” She went on to explain that I was severely dehydrated (more so than I was on Tuesday) and I needed fluids. She added that she thought my gallbladder might be causing a lot of my sickness, and told me that I would probably be admitted, and that she wanted to run tests (blood work and ultrasound) on my gallbladder.

So, back to the hospital we went. I threw up in the bathroom waiting to be called back, and then I threw up again as soon as they got me to one of those monitoring rooms. They got the IV in fairly quickly after I started throwing up. They pushed two and half IV bags into me while I was in that room, and then a midwife popped in, and told me that I was to be admitted. They were going to send me for an ultrasound of my gallbladder in the morning. My numbers apparently came back horrible, and they said that I was about an inch away from developing full blown pancreatitus.  

From what I understand throwing up had irritated my stomach, which then irritated my gallbladder, which was then irritating my liver, and I was to the point where my pancreas was about to join the party. So, after being admitted, I was allowed to eat a bowl of chicken broth, but after midnight I wasn’t allowed anything to eat or drink (not even water).  

I had my ultrasound of my gallbladder, which came back normal, and then I was given 6 more bags of fluids throughout the day (that’s a total of 8 full bags of IV fluids if you weren’t keeping count).

I was slowly allowed to start eating again, and at around 9 pm on Friday night, I was discharged from the hospital. They told me that I was still dehydrated, and that I really needed to push the liquids to get my body back in shape. I’m also to stay away from all fats right now. Basically, I can have lean meats and vegetables. I have no idea how I’m supposed to gain weight on that diet….I go back to the midwife on the 22nd. So far, I’m doing well. My system is slowly returning to normal, and I believe that I’m close to being rehydrated again. It’s seriously taken me days to accomplish it.  


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s