I’m Just Going to Stop Planning Things….

I’m learning that I should stop making plans. It really seems like anytime that I do, they end up falling apart and never happening like they should. Let me give you a couple of examples:

The Plan:
Over a month ago, I bought a Groupon that was pay $10, get $20 to spend at the farmer’s market. I bought two of them. Three weekends ago, we were supposed to go to the farmer’s market after Henry’s swim class and stock up on produce and whatever else we wanted while there.

I wake up at 5:30 in the morning throwing up the sushi that was in my stomach all night from dinner. And I proceeded to throw up until about noon that day. Then J got sick with it, and then Henry got really bad diarrhea from it. So, we were all a pathetic dribbling mess all weekend. Needless to say we didn’t go to the farmer’s market.

So, because I still had this Groupon that I needed to use, we decided that we’d try to plan it again. In addition to the Groupon, I had also bought tickets for Igudesman & Joo’s “Big Nightmare Music,” that was performing with the Greensboro Symphony, and we even had a babysitter set up for the night!

Re: The Plan:
So, Friday night, and I was going to leave work with Ali, the dog and head home to change and get ready to go out. J and the babysitter were going to pick up Henry from daycare and meet me at the house. I even bought a car adapter for my pump, so that I could pump on the way to the event! Afterwards we were going to go out to eat and have a couple drinks and enjoy time out of the house with each other. On Saturday, we’d go to Henry’s swim class, and then go to the farmers market.

I left work with Ali. J picked up the babysitter and headed over to the daycare to pick up Henry. I proceeded to drive most of the way home. It was beautiful out, so I had the windows open and the radio turned up. As soon as I turned off the Hwy, around 5:30, I hit some rush hour traffic. Nothing major. It was stop and go traffic for a little while, and when I was going, the car in front of me all of a sudden slammed on his brakes. I had no choice but to slam on mine. Ali, who rides shotgun, hit the dashboard with her front paws, and proceed to rebound out of the opened window and landed on the ground next to the car.

I sat in my seat going “what the fuck just happened,” for a split second before I noticed that the dog was now taking off down a busy road in rush hour traffic. I whipped my car into the parking lot that I was sitting beside and took off after her on foot. I left my purse, keys, phone, everything, in the car and just started running down the street.

When I made it to the next big intersection, I saw J in his car with the baby and the babysitter waiting at a light. I start yelling at him like a mad woman to park the car and help me run after the dog, and I start running down the road again. I got reports from people stuck in traffic that my dog was farther up the road, running. No one, apparently, could be bothered to get out of their car to grab her….so, I kept running.

J and I are running basically all over downtown Asheboro calling Ali’s name and looking for her. Eventually, I lost complete sight of her, so I decided to run back to my car to try and catch up to her that way. J, keeps going on foot while I’m going back to my car.

I drive all over looking for her and calling her name. On one of my trips around, I pick up J and we start looking together. After sometime has passed, we both realize that Henry and the babysitter are still sitting in J’s car waiting on us. So, I drive back to J’s car so he can take them to the house. Thankfully, the baby and the babysitter were awesome and didn’t seem to mind the wait.

When we get them back to the house, J and I consolidate cars and head out together to keep looking for her. This is around 6:00 or 6:30. We drive around calling for Ali and asking people if they’d see her until almost 10:00, when it was too dark to continue the search. With heavy hearts and tears welling in my eyes, we decided to go home and start the search again in the morning.

J moved her bed onto the front porch of our house in case she made it home in the middle of the night. After that, we both were just sitting, in shock and horror at what had happened. We were terrified and beyond upset and I burst into tears more than once. At some point we both fell asleep from the adrenaline leaving our systems.

Henry slept until 7:30 that morning, and as I was nursing him, J left to look for Ali. I nursed Henry, changed his diaper, got him dressed and was feeding him breakfast when I heard a car pull up in the driveway. I thought it was J coming home to get us to help him search, so I went to the door to open it for him. Instead of J, I see a man, his daughter and Ali in the driveway, coming up to the house!

I burst into tears all over again and collapsed on the ground to hug my incredibly dirty dog. Her rescuers said that they saw her running down the road yesterday around 6:00. They said that at around 11:00 the night before, she wandered into their yard, and they kept her until this morning before dropping her off. I am beyond grateful that they cared for her and brought her back. I will always be grateful to them for helping our family.

Ali is dirty, and still exhausted from her several hour run, but she’s unharmed. No scratches or bruises. No broken bones, or anything like that. Her feet are a little tender from her run, but nothing major. I can’t express how happy I am to have her home. J and I went out and bought her a doggy seat belt so that she won’t be going out anymore windows.

Needless to say, our date night, Henry’s swim lesson and our trip to the farmer’s market didn’t happen that day. I really think I’m going to stop planning things. It seems I only invite trouble to happen when I do.

…what a weekend…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s