Braxton Hicks Contractions

So, I’ve had an interesting last few days.

On Friday night, I went to the musical that J’s school was putting on and that he was helping out with.  As I was sitting in the audience I had a braxton hicks contraction.  I didn’t think anything of it, because I’ve been having them fairly often.  But, about 15 minutes later, I had another.  15 minutes after that, I had another one.  At this point I started to get really nervous.  And of course, while I was starting to freak out, I had another one.  Which would make 4 in less than an hour.

Luckily for me, this is about the time where the show ended.  I told J what was going on and he rushed me into his office so that we could call our midwife.  We ended up having to call the after hours hotline for our practice, but I spoke to a very nice nurse who told me to 1.  drink 3 glasses of water in a row – and keep drinking water steadily after that 2.  take two extra strength tylenol 3. lay down on my left side.  She went on to say that if I had 4-6 in an hour after doing that to call back and they’d send me in to be seen.  J whisked me out of the school and drove me home, and I followed all of the nurse’s advice, and thankfully enough the contractions stopped.  I had two while we were at home, but that was it.

Saturday and Sunday went by without a single contraction.  Monday though, was a totally different story.

I woke up around 4:00 because of a braxton hicks contraction.  I thought it was weird that it woke me up, but I was able to fall right back asleep and then I kinda forgot about it for a while.

  • At 7:55, as I was driving into work I had a BH contraction, and then I had one at:
  • 8:53
  • 9:15
  • 9:30 – this is where I start to throw water back like it’s going out of style and I took two tylenol
  • 9:37
  • 9:45
  • 10:00
  • 10:20 – this is where I called my midwife
  • 10:45

I was able to get an appointment at 11:15 to be seen and checked out.  Throughout all of this the baby was moving fine – which was the only thing that was keeping me from completely freaking out.  We listened to the baby’s heart beat.  And then she did an internal exam to see if my cervix was changing at all – it wasn’t – it’s still completely closed (TMI?).  She also did a preterm labor test – which checks for a protein that the baby releases that starts the cervix to dilate.  That came back negative as well.

So, for the moment I’m not going into preterm labor – but I’m now going to be watched for it.  After my exam I was told that I was to take the day off of work, go home and put my feet up, and drink lots of water, which I did.

While at home, I was having BH contractions for the rest of the day at about 20-30 minutes apart.  They finally seemed to stop at around 9pm last night, and since then I’ve only had one.

To be honest, I’m kinda freaked out, upset, scared about this whole situation.  I can’t emphasize how much I want to carry this baby to term, and I’m terrified at the prospect that my body might not be able to do it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s